On July 10, the Governor of Hawaii signed House Bill 213, which expands the existing Hawaii Family Leave Law. The new law, effective immediately, adds siblings to the list of covered family members with a serious health condition for whom an employee may take leave to provide care. No other substantive changes were made to the law.
What Employers Must Do Now
Employers in Hawaii are responsible for compliance with this law immediately. Employers should:
- Review and update any policies or handbooks to include siblings as a covered family member under the Hawaii Family Leave Law; and
- Train supervisors and managers on the change so they can help spot covered absences.
What ReedGroup Is Doing
If you are using ReedGroup’s leave management services or software we are:
- Updating our leave management software platforms to include the additional relationship;
- Training staff and updating scripts; and
- Updating the Hawaii Family Leave Law in Leave Advisor™.